Saturday, October 13, 2018

45 Degrees of Freezing*

 
**

On my desk sits a deck of daily inspirational cards a friend and colleague gave me for Christmas a few years ago. I enjoy using them over and over because there are enough to fill a year or so, which means they are “fresh” again by the time their next turn comes up. Some really resonate, and I say a silent “Yep! That’s for sure!” when I read them. Others are thought provoking, at the very least. In the past 8 ½ months I have come to live and breathe the truthfulness of a handful of these quotes as well as others I see all over social media. I recently posted about my job in Mississippi. Here are some further thoughts and explanation.
I’d like to say I listen to my gut, but sometimes it isn’t as clear in its messages as I would like. I did come to some conclusions about the job: 
1.       I don’t think there was a single other applicant;
2.       The judge runs such a tight court that everyone walks around on tiptoes and is terrified of facing her disappointment;
3.       Apparently, micromanagement IS a thing, and there is no known depth to which it will go;

4.       This was NOT Twin, Falls, Idaho, nor was this Judge Stoker; and

5.        Even the most unfortunate weather and other details can be outweighed by job satisfaction. Conversely, lack of job satisfaction removes one’s ability to make the best of the weather and details that make life a little harder. 

There were a few things that were bright spots:
1.      I loved the ward;

2.      I loved the co-workers in the district (and it turns out I had read them correctly!);

3.      I made some good friends;

4.      I rarely had to go to court, so I had a LOT of free time; and

5.      Jangle – THAT is a story, I promise you! 
After deciding on Iowa and choosing a specific location, our packing and preparations began in earnest. It was an anxious few weeks as we looked for a new home that would be within our price range as well as welcome us with our menagerie of pets. We finally found a home we like in a neighborhood we love. There are some logistics still needing to be worked out with our pets and so forth, but we are happy.
I often see memes or inspirational quotes that speak about how managers can most effectively supervise others and which attributes of a good manager are the most important. I have a testimony of their truthfulness! Treat your subordinates (heck ,treat everyone!) as if you appreciate them and value their efforts. They will likely respond with greater enthusiasm for their work and appreciation for you!

In the past 2 weeks I have had a steady stream of people coming into my office, introducing themselves and offering assistance to help me learn my new job. I’m talking everyone from my reporter colleagues, court assistants, and administrative personnel to each of the judges in the building. And they mean it. I AM welcome here. Everyone is SO nice. My job IS important to them. And, most important, quoting from a story I just heard about Camilla Eyring Kimball, I believe they understand they should, "never suppress a generous thought [or action.]" 


Because I have been sincerely welcomed, and the offers of help have included leading me through the steps to teach me the tasks that will be necessary for me to understand, the hook has been set, and I don’t ever want to leave. I want to be better at my job than I have ever been. Treat your employees with appreciation and give them the understanding by your actions that you value them, and they will bend over backwards to do their work. Who wouldn’t be happy in that kind of environment?
*It was 96 degrees (with heat index) when we left Mississippi. We arrived in Iowa a day and a half later, and it was about 50 degrees. Yesterday it snowed!
** February 2010 in Fredericksburg, Virginia! Iowa isn't here yet :D

1 comment:

  1. As a volunteer at our hospital, I am constantly under the eye of a micro manager who has caused my volunteer friends to leave voluntarism at the hospital. She has also caused me to consider if I want to continue volunteering there any longer. But I admit, if I did not have the hospital to go to three times a week, I would shrivel up and fade away from boredom! The fact that (I believe) this woman is causing our volunteers to leave is alarming and aggravating. She was reported for her micro managing over 5 years ago but still is on the job dismays me. I am on the verge of quitting as well. Tracy I am so happy that you found a position that you love. I know you will do well because you always have. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete