Saturday, February 13, 2016

Am I Asking/Behaving Contrary to God's Will?




Recently I waxed on about Capt. Moroni. He will always have my heart. What a great guy!

This week we have studied Nephi (the one from Helaman). When I was teaching the Book of Mormon course to the youth in our ward in Fredericksburg, I would always say, “The answer is always Nephi!” Of course, the Nephi who was “born of goodly parents” was someone from whom we could learn a lot about how to conduct ourselves in this life. Today I want to talk about the Nephi who lived about 600 years later.

The Lord used a few things to describe this Nephi:  Unwearying, sought not his own life but the will of the Lord, sought to keep the Lord’s commandments. Now, those are worthy goals for all of us, but, wow, Nephi must have been rock solid! Nephi was blessed with great powers that were only bestowed upon a few in the history of the world. The Lord knew that Nephi would not do or seek anything that was contrary to His will.

So here’s my question:  Could the same ever be said of any of us? Do we strive to do nothing that is contrary to God’s will? Be honest with yourself. I will give my own answer:  I know that I fall short every single day. Part of that is I know that I behave contrary to God’s will many times. How would my experience on this earth be affected if I changed my direction?

My prayer has been that I can be better at obedience. I will amend that prayer to becoming someone the Lord can trust will not do anything contrary to His will. Becoming is an action word. And my prayer will, I hope, become an action word as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment